Third Foundation of the City, history of Antigua GuatemalaBack
The third foundation of Antigua Guatemala took place after the mudslide from Water Volcano in 1541. The city was rebuilt with beautiful buildings, most of them were religious. It was considered the official home of the Spanish colonial administration in the area. During the pass of time the city prospered and many Governors ruled in the name of the King of Spain.
During 1770 the population was only about 25,000 people. Most of them were mestizos, Indians or black people, only 6% were Spanish. This last group became the aristocracy, they were the descended from the original conquers. They earned their money as merchants.
By 1773, in addition to the cathedral and government palace the city had 30 churches, 18 convents and monasteries, 10 chapels, the University of San Carlos, 5 hospitals, an orphanage, fountains and parks.